Monday, May 6, 2013

Openness

Tim and I recently finished our first online adoption course entitled Open Adoption 101.  It was a very well organized course which goes more in-depth about the very sensitive issue of openness in domestic adoption.

"Openness gives children the gifts of possibilities, for now and for the future.  It is not a cure-all, but it creates the possibility for a stronger sense of purpose in identity."  

The idea of openness is a child-centered focus involving honest communication, empathy, relationships, boundaries, and flexibility.

In addition, shortly after the course, I was able to meet with Colleen, a new adoptive mom who recently had a successful experience in adopting her daughter through Bethany Christian Services.  Meeting Colleen was like a breath of fresh air...we both had similar experiences in the journey of choosing an agency, and similar views on the adoption journey itself.  In meeting my new friend, I felt a renewed spirit that Tim and I are on the right course for us and I look forward to learning and growing more as a family.


No comments:

Post a Comment