Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Interview Of A Lifetime: Part 2

After returning from Rochester and picking Molly up from Grandma and Grandpa's house, we were nearing home when Tim's cell phone began to ring.  On the other end was Jennifer, the social worker who was present at our meeting just a few hours ago.  She said that she had Phil and Nicole there and that they wanted to talk to us.  My heart was beating so rapidly with anticipation and excitement that it was all I could do to maintain my attention to the remaining miles toward home.  After a poor connection caused them to replace the call, we were pulling into our garage when we were asked one of the most wonderful questions in the world:  "would you parent our daughter?"  I don't remember who spoke our reply, but inside I was screaming "YES!"  At one point I remember telling them that it would be an honor and a blessing.  And once the information was communicated to our eager four-year old in the backseat, Molly chimed in with a resounding "Thank You!"

I don't know how you continue about your business after receiving a phone call like that.  I felt like I was floating through time and space.  I know at some point we had dinner...but I also remember that after Tim left for Mission that night, I proceeded to do something with Molly that I am really good at.   Shopping.

It was really late mind you for her to be out and about with me, but I made an exception, considering the rare occasion of our circumstances.  We had a new baby to prepare for!!  The room itself was mostly ready as we were beginning the transition to a nursery in hopeful anticipation for the arrival of our second child.  We were simply shopping for a few necessary items...formula, diapers, a new outfit for the baby, a "big sister" gift for Molly, and a gift for each of the birthparents.  After narrowing down our outfit choices from Molly's exuberant ten, selecting a new baby for Molly that goes poo and pee on the potty, I turned my attention to selecting a thoughtful gift for Phil and Nicole.

What exactly do you get for the birthparents of your new baby?!  When it's 8:00 pm on a Sunday night?  And you have a narrow window to complete your errand before your overtired four-year old child has a meltdown?

Browsing in the jewelry department, I was thinking of a necklace or bracelet for Nicole when something caught my eye.  It was a display of bracelets that each had a different meaning.  One in particular had an "infinity" symbol (think of an 8 turned on its side).  I though it the perfect connection between our two families as we believed and hoped that Phil and Nicole would "always" be a part of our daughter's life.  The purchase was further solidified when I found a delicate infinity necklace perfect for her birthmother.

That evening after putting Molly to bed, and preparing for the activity of the following day, I relished the thought that this would be our last night as a family of three.  We had waited almost five years to grow our family and our moment had finally arrived.  I was so anxious with anticipation that I found it hard to sleep that night, but I eventually drifted off to sleep with the love of my life beside me, and one miraculous gift from God sleeping peacefully in the next room.  I became enveloped by the peace of knowing that this would be the last evening that the nursery would be empty.  Tomorrow, our hope, our journey, and our family would be one step closer to completion.

1 comment: